Sep 6, 2012

italian diaries - part 4

“We live in a wonderful world that is full of beauty, charm and adventure. There is no end to the adventures we can have if only we seek them with our eyes open.”
― Jawaharal Nehru 

I hate blogging/writing/living in retrospect. For me, the best thing is to immediately capture feelings and emotions, since I'm made up of a whirlwind of them. I can be utterly confused and immensely bright at the same time. I forget old emotions completely and look back at certain situations without feeling much sympathy for my past me, so excuse me if some of the things I write here sound out of place. These are the things I feel right now, not in that very moment. And still, I remember how alive and happy and in place I felt in the mountains, photographing with my cousin. 

The day before my cousins left, Simon and I knew we had to go take some photos at the 'Waalweg', a little path in the mountains, right next to our hotel, that is always accompanied by the Waal, the little stream that irrigates all the apple trees in the area. We laughed a lot about the fact that last year we made this trip, thunder and lightning were accompanying us. (Thunder and lightning are very dangerous in the mountains, especially under trees, which was exactly where we were. A few days ago a guy was killed when lightning struck, just a few kilometers away from us.) But because we came all this way, (on flipflops on the rocky paths) we decided to continue our walk. We came out fine and had the waterfall area all to ourselves, but because we both forgot our phones, we decided to hurry back to the hotel. 

This year, the weather was hot and dry. Still, laying in this mountain river was the coldest thing I've ever done. The water came directly from a spring a little bit higher up, so it was cold, believe me. And still, while laying there, I felt extremely quiet and peaceful. Even with people walking by every now and then, even while I was shivering non stop. I felt strange and real and alive and I knew that that's why I love photography.


River in the mountains.


On one of our last days in Italy, we decided to go to Trento. It almost became a tradition to go to Verona every year, but since the trip to there was exhausting and unpredictable, we decided to go someplace new. Trento is one of the prettiest cities I have ever visited. It is lively and has this typical Italian flow, with it's closing times between 1 and 4, it's giant pizzas (with french fries as a starter!) and the atmosphere you can't find anywhere else. I can't wait to see more of this city next year.

Trento


Giant pizzas and FRENCH FRIES.



Mimi, the hotel cat.

Anke

Like every single year, Italy was a memory and a highlight of my year. I am thrilled to travel back to this wonderful place for the eleventh (yes!) time. And next year I'll read more books, take more photos and be alive as much as we can be.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a nice time! These photos are really beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved all these diaries! You're great! xx Marie

    ReplyDelete