Nov 14, 2012

left in prague

“The streets of Prague were a fantasia scarcely touched by the twenty-first century—or the twentieth or nineteenth, for that matter. It was a city of alchemists and dreamers, its medieval cobbles once trod by golems, mystics, invading armies. Tall houses glowed goldenrod and carmine and eggshell blue, embellished with Rococo plasterwork and capped in roofs of uniform red. Baroque cupolas were the soft green of antique copper, and Gothic steeples stood ready to impale fallen angels. The wind carried the memory of magic, revolution, violins, and the cobbled lanes meandered like creeks. Thugs wore Motzart wigs and pushed chamber music on street corners, and marionettes hung in windows, making the whole city seem like a theater with unseen puppeteers crouched behind velvet.” 
 Laini Taylor, Daughter of Smoke and Bone

And for the first time in my life, I completely misjudged a city. I didn't feel that excited to go to Prague, a city that didn't speak to me in a way as loud as New York, Paris or Zanzibar did. But I couldn't have been more wrong. Prague isn't a dead, old city, completely lacking the famous places and the quiet streets. Prague was almost magical. (Except those unbelievably hot temperatures.) I've never seen such beautiful architecture, that many amazing restaurants or such an amount of amazing independent bookstores. (Especially the bookstores were like entering my own, personal heaven.) This city truly left a mark on my heart, and it's a wonderful mark.


plane flight, the belgian countryside

View from the Charles Bridge


Church Of Our Lady Before Tyn (I admit I had to google that)



Harry Potter! 



The Shakespeare & Sons bookstore, which was incredible!

One of the many amazing bookstores in Prague.

I just had to

The awesome dog from the awesome Prague guy, who I ended up talking to for a while about the most random stuff.



Wenceslas Square, which was so crowded and hectic, but beautiful.

Bridge next to the hotel

The best 'cafe latte caramelo' EVER.

By the way, if you ever visit Prague, go have dinner at the Pasta Caffe. I had the best (freshly made) pasta of my life, plus they have that coffee there (which still hunts my dreams). Also: their desserts are heavenly. 

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad to read that the city was different than what you expected and something that was slightly negative changed into a positive (minus the weather). I love the pictures, they are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete