Jan 2, 2013

light in the kingdom


"If you're lonely when you are alone, you are in bad company."
- Jean-Paul Sartre

Sartre was convinced that you exist before you are. Though I am currently supposed to be very into Sartre and all his existentialist friends, in reality I can't make up my mind about whether or not he is right. I've been reading a lot and I still have a lot of reading and researching to do before I will get to make up my mind. Don't worry, I'll let you know.

Whenever I've been outside for photography in the past few months, it was in a field or a forest, a place that wasn't my own and where I'd always be looking behind my back to see if I'm still alone and not about to be murdered by a serial killer. That's why, on the first official day of my Christmas break, I felt like it was time to go back to the place where I took a serious handful of photos during my 365. My grandfather's old back-backyard, where I've laid in the snow and climbed in the trees that now have disappeared, where I used to spend days studying upstairs in the little garden house, until I discovered a snail and refused to go in ever again. I have entered again, multiple times even. I took one of my favourite photos there with my cousin, I've experimented with expanding in there and yes, I've been creeped out by snails that now live there repeatedly. Still, I felt quite at ease, just photographing, capturing the golden hour and not thinking about concepts or expanding methods or serial killers. Things have changed, but as long as this place exists, no matter how many apartment buildings start to surround it, this is my place and my kingdom. Needless to say, I  worthily share it with the countless snails, who are still not my friends.













broken windows in the garden house.




4 comments:

  1. Your words are just amazing, gosh, I love you so much <3
    P.S: You freaking belgian gorgeous girl, COME HERE RIGHT NOW

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful light in the first pictures. I love the quotes you post as well, you have such a good taste! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. reading your words was beautiful and the photos express everything you said.

    ReplyDelete