Jul 1, 2013

Barcelona: day 1 (part 1)

“Certainly paradise, whatever, wherever it be, contains flaws. (Paradisical flaws, if you like.) If it did not, it would be incapable of drawing the hearts of men or angels.” 
― Henry Miller

(Part one of day one, aka the part where I am stuck in the airport before being united with Laura, part two coming later whenever I end up editing the photos)

Traveling on your own, it's all fun and games until you're stuck in the airport, which is usually the moment where you wish you weren't alone, only for the sake of having someone to talk to. I've been sitting on the ground, on the bagage claim band and multiple carts for the past two hours, trying to solve at least five sudoku puzzles and trying not to waste all the money on my phone by texting all my friends my newfound frustrations. Though Laura and her sister are (probably not that patiently) waiting less than 50 metres away, I can't even see them or spend my forever lost time chatting to the people I flew all this way to see.

The planes keep pushing out more people and the airport itself becomes more crowded. People with foreign accents and different faces always seem to know more about what's going on, though they seem to disappear into the Barcelona sun a whole lot quicker than me. The bagage claim band has become the chaise longue we expected to be laying on right now and chewing gum substitutes the meal I've been waiting on for almost seven hours.

And even though I'm stuck here, separated from my friends and all alone on the airport floor with my only remaining friend, my laptop (since the sudoku puzzles didn't exactly calm me down), I can't tell you I'm unhappy. Because whenever I will get outside of this marble-floored building (and the fact that it's a matter of when and not of if), there will be someone waiting for me, and the weather will be nice, and my summer will actually start, and I think I should be lucky to already have that.

The advertisement in front of me says “Descubre Barcelona como nunca has imaginado” which I think means as much as “discover Barcelona as no one has imagined” and I'm pretty sure that is what I'm currently doing, and what I'll continue to do for the next week. Because being stuck on your own in an airport is definitely a new feeling for me. And so will meeting an internet be, but it'll be a good kind of new. And maybe that's why the first kind of new will be a good start too.







3 comments:

  1. This sounds like the beginning of a great story! I really love your photographs. I don't know if I've ever told you that? But well, the truth is I do haha, and I can't wait to see the beautiful images I'm sure you'll create on this trip. Good luck! I send you my love,

    Alexis

    ReplyDelete
  2. gorgeous snaps! the skies are so blue and flawless - beautiful! <3

    Check out my latest outfit post! :)
    A
    xx
    http://epiquemoi.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. want to go there too http://differentcands.blogspot.kr/

    ReplyDelete